Adolph Loos, cover and excerpt from Das Andere (The Other), 1903.
The MAK Center for Art and Architecture makes Adolf Loos's text Das Andere available in English for the first time, with publisher Lars Müller, and in doing so, opens another window toward understanding Loos, his context, and his contributions. The intellectual and artistic trajectories launched in early-twentieth-century Vienna continue to operate today, and this text aids our ongoing critical analysis of modernism and Western culture. Beatriz Colomina supplements the facsimile and translation with an extensive critical introduction.
Beatriz Colomina, project collaborator, is an internationally renowned architectural historian and theorist who has taught at Princeton University's School of Architecture since 1988. She has written extensively on questions of architecture and the modern institutions of representation, particularly printed media. Her books include Privacy and Publicity: Modern Architecture as Mass Media (MIT Press 1994), awarded the 1995 International Book Award by the American Institute of Architects; Sexuality and Space (editor; Princeton Architectural Press, 1992), awarded the 1993 AIA International Book Award; and Architectureproduction (editor; Princeton Architectural Press 1988). She has also organized exhibitions such as Clip/Stamp/Fold: The Radical Architecture of Little Magazines (2006) at the Storefront for Art and Architecture in New York and in an expanded format at the Canadian Centre for Architecture, Montréal, under the title Clip/Stamp/Fold 2: The Radical Architecture of Little Magazines 196X–197X (2007). She has presented lectures throughout the world, including at the Museum of Modern Art, New York; MAXXI Museum, Rome; the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York; and Harvard University.
Kimberli Meyer has been the director of the MAK Center for Art and Architecture at the Schindler House in West Hollywood since 2002.
Unique in its role as a historic site and exhibition space, the MAK Center for Art and Architecture, Los Angeles, at the Schindler House develops local and international projects exploring the intersection of contemporary art and architecture. Acting as a "think tank" for current issues, the center encourages exploration of practical or theoretical aspects in art and architecture by engaging the center's places, spaces, and histories. Established in 1994, the center is housed in the landmark R. M. Schindler House (1921–1922) in West Hollywood. In addition, the center maintains and occupies two other Schindler-designed buildings, the Mackey Apartments (1939) and the Fitzpatrick-Leland House (1936).